Your Cart

Common household toxins for dogs

May 04, 2023

Duncan Houston

There are numerous household items that can be toxic to dogs. It is important to be aware of these dangers in order to keep your pet safe. Here are some of the most common household toxins for dogs:

1. Chocolate: Contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, tremors, seizures, and even death.

2. Grapes and raisins: Can cause acute kidney failure in dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and decreased urine production.

3. Onions and garlic: Contain compounds that can cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, leading to anemia. Symptoms include weakness, pale gums, and increased heart rate.

4. Xylitol: A sugar substitute found in sugar-free gum, candy, and some baked goods. It can cause a rapid release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms include vomiting, loss of coordination, and seizures.

5. Human medications: Over-the-counter and prescription medications can be toxic to dogs if ingested. Symptoms vary depending on the medication but can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures, and more.

6. Household cleaners: Many cleaning products contain chemicals that can be harmful to dogs if ingested or inhaled. Symptoms include vomiting, drooling, and respiratory distress.

7. Antifreeze: Contains ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can cause acute kidney failure. Symptoms include vomiting, increased thirst, and lethargy.

8. Rodenticides: Rat and mouse poison can cause severe symptoms in dogs, ranging from internal bleeding to seizures and even death.

9. Insecticides: Can be toxic to dogs if ingested or absorbed through the skin. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and seizures.

10. Plants: Some common household plants, such as lilies, azaleas, and sago palms, can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms vary depending on the plant but can include vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.

If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic substance, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal clinic immediately. Early intervention can be critical in preventing severe symptoms and improving the outcome for your pet.